The Tantramar Wetlands Centre is part of the area of land originally settled by the Acadians in the late 1600’s. Located on the edge of the world-famous Tantramar Marshes, the area was almost entirely salt marsh in pre-settlement time. The Acadians drained and dyked these marshes creating agricultural dykelands, used principally as pasture and for producing hay. In 1755, the local French Fort Beauséjour fell to the British and the Acadians were expelled from the area. English settlers occupied the vacant Acadian lands and further drained the marshes. Today, over 80% of the original pre-settlement wetlands have disappeared.
A Wetland Restoration
In 1997, students from Tantramar Regional High School assisted Ducks Unlimited Canada in the construction of a freshwater wetland on the school’s property. This wetland restoration is the centerpiece of 50 acres of wildlife habitat being restored and managed as an outdoor classroom by TWC. Wide trails and pathways provide immediate safe access to the site and connect this natural laboratory to an indoor wetlab and work area equipped to handle large groups of visitors. An extensive inventory of field and laboratory equipment is available at the Centre for use by program participants. Whether the activity calls for hip waders or binoculars, TWC will provide the necessary tools to reveal the mystery and excitement wetlands offer.